Tuesday 7 October 2014

The Perfect Skirt

Stash Busting 2014:  (NY The Collection) McCall's 7870

Fabric:               2.2 metres cotton + 0.5 metres of interfacing

Zipper:              8" invisible zipper

Basting tape:    16" total

Snaps:               1 set (medium sized)

I made this skirt earlier this year as part of of Jungle January. And even though I am not a huge animal print wearing kind of gal, I like this skirt pattern so much that I would wear my animal print skirt more than I thought I would.  


This latest version is in a black cotton sateen fabric that has some stretch. It has been in my fabric stash for about a year. I chose a fusible knit interfacing for the front facing and back waistband pieces that has been in my stash for much longer. The zipper and snap were also stash busted for this project.


My favourite parts of the skirt is the double pleated kick pleat, front tucks, and top-stitched darts. The double pleated kick pleat makes this skirt wearable even though it is a slim fitting skirt that is just above the ankle length. 

Let's talk about the pattern for a moment. The shoulder pads on the peplum jacket pattern would have me guessing it was something from the 1980s. The pattern is vintage but not that old. It dates back to 1995 and is from The Collection NY by McCall's patterns. I found it on etsy.com and to be completely honest I would have skipped over it if the seller did not include the line drawings on the listing. The pattern photos don't showcase the details that make this skirt so unique.    


This skirt pattern is for sure a keeper. How about you, do you have a favourite skirt pattern that you would like to re-visit? 

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...