Friday 31 October 2014

October in Review

First off, Happy Halloween!


Did you make a Halloween costume this year? Someone did ask me if I wanted to sew a costume for their daughter this year. That was a terrifying conversation as it is well-known that sewing is a means of relaxation and I'm not into turning it into a form of torture. 


In yesterday's paper a scary article appeared about the big business and sexualization of Halloween over the years. Curious after reading the article, I popped over to check out the sewing costume selections. Eeeks!  

Butterick 6114
What do you think about the state of Hallowe'en costumes and culture? 

Sewing

Still on the theme of spooky and terrifying, there was a whole lot of mending and alterations that took up most of my sewing time and threatened to destroy my sewing mojo. I did manage to squeeze out some sewing, a skirt and dress for Mama R and a skirt for myself. 

Top left:  Side pockets on Mama R's skirt.  Center: Mama R's dress.
Top right:  Mama R's skirt (front view).  Bottom right: Skirt (front).
Bottom left:  Skirt (back kick pleat). 
RTW Fast

It is scary to think that the RTW Fast is coming to an end in the next couple of months and I fell off the wagon this late in the game. But I found a curly lambswool vintage jacket and in my defence, there is no way I could recreate that jacket. Never mind that fact that I would never be able to find the materials to recreate the jacket. And if I could, I could never sew it for what I picked up this vintage gem for... So, I'm not going to beat myself up about this purchase. Feels good to come clean on that little slip up.   

Stats


Items
Stash-busted
Added to Stash
Fabric
125.6
meters
84 meters
Interfacing
4.9 meters
0
Lining
3.5 meters
0
Sewing Patterns
24
21
Spools of Thread
27
12
Sewing Needles
7
0
Pant Hooks
6
6
Zippers
15
6
Trim 
0.40 meters
10
Elastic
9.2 meters
12 meters
Bias Tape
2 meters
0
Snaps
3
0
Buttons
53
12
Ribbon
3.5
0
Hook and Eye or other Closures
5
5
Basting Tape
12.2 meters
6 packages
 

  






2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't beat myself up over it either! Sometimes, it's like that.

    Oh gosh, my husband and I joke that our social media will be littered with women pronouncing they are a sexy _____ for Halloween. That blank can be anything; a sexy pirate. a sexy police woman. a sexy cat (really, what's with the cats?). Or as we joke and say..."I'm a sexy tube of toothpaste!" hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking over your stash busting chart. As for the vintage jacket, vintage doesn't count!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...