Saturday 11 October 2014

Downloadable Patterns

I feel like I'm alone on my lack of fondness for downloadable patterns. Now don't get me wrong, I have used downloadable (PDF file) patterns but I'm just not a fan.  


I guess I'm just an old-fashion kind-of-gal but I would rather have a printed pattern pre-packaged with an envelope for storage.

Yes, PDF sewing patterns are great if you want something NOW! and just can't wait. But a big part of sewing is about patience. I don't mind ordering my patterns online and waiting for them to get here via snail mail. I like the thrill of seeing a package in the mail box weeks later. It gives me time to think and shop my stash for fabric and notions at a leisurely pace.  

But then on the other hand I'm not very patient at times. I rather not spend my time waiting for the printer to print off sheets of paper that I will then have to tape together. Once they are taped together, I will have to cut before I can start pinning these taped pattern pieces to some fabric. And never mind the cost of the ink cartridges on a home printer, not cheap in these parts. So I really don't see the savings in time or money. Yet more and more pattern companies are offering free and at an additional cost PDF file patterns. Even Butterick and Burda offer PDF patterns.  

Jenna Cardi

One of the pattern companies offering PDF file patterns is Muse. They currently have the cutest cardigan pattern (Jenna Cardi) but it is only offered as a downloadable pattern and that stopped me dead in my tracks. I didn't want it anymore. I didn't want to print it off and tape the pattern pieces together. Nope, lost all interest in it.

Am I the only one who doesn't like PDF patterns?

Happy Sewing!



  

6 comments:

  1. I don't mind pdf patterns. But I don't cut them out after taping together. I trace them onto pattern paper, which is so much easier to work with on the fabric. I tape the pdf together using small pieces of blue painter's tape. After tracing, I un-tape the pages and store the pages in a plastic page protector. That way is much less bulky than using the taped together pattern to cut the fabric, and then trying to fold it in some random/orderly fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea with the painters tape and storing the pages after they have been traced. But it is still not enough to make me want to order the Jenna cardi. It still feels like too much work. Call me lazy.

      Delete
  2. I am on the same page about digital patterns. Free digital patterns I do consider purchasing. I can usually find something similar in a paper pattern. I agree with the cost of paper and printing. Our family needs the printer for work and school. I like BeckyMc's suggestions for how to manage pdf patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used them but I definitely do not gravitate toward them.

    I don't like printing and assembling (even though it really doesn't take that long) and I don't like the price tag that comes attached to many of them. Although I've been lazy about Lekala too, and they're relatively cheap.

    I just prefer paper patterns! And who doesn't love getting goodies in the mail?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually am coming to the conclusion that I hate PDFs, they are boring and take way too long to stick together and they are awkward and bulky to store. I'm not a fan. Course, I'll still use them, if they are the only option, but the fact that they need the extra work to even get started puts me off and I'll usually delay getting on with that project. Call it lazy if you'd like ;-)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never used one and have no desire to. It sounds like even basic patterns use lots of paper not to mention the taping and cutting. Having said that I will trace patterns fro magazines and that is probably no easier..

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...