I'm working on Mama R's jacket, Vogue 8916. This is the second time that I am using this pattern.
Mama R has been window shopping for a new jacket for quite some time and she has quite a few RTW jackets in her closet. The trouble is finding one that fits and looks good. This project has been long overdue! Mama R was actually the one who spotted this pattern and she has re-designed it to hit all her wants and needs.
She asked that I lower the front neckline curve down one inch and add another inch to the length of the jacket. She also requested full length sleeves instead of three-quarter length sleeves. The biggest changes were made to the inside of the jacket.
All of the pattern pieces (excluding the lining pieces) have been underlined with silk organza. Underlining is not called for in the pattern instructions but I recently became a fan of underlining after seeing the difference that it makes to a garment after I worked on Vogue Couturier Designer pattern from the nineteen seventies.
The jacket front calls for fusible interfacing in the instructions but I went with a horsehair canvas instead. Horsehair canvas is used for interfacing tailored clothes so I figured it would be perfect for this project. Little details that I believe are making a good foundation and hopefully Mama R will have a jacket that she has longed for.